Golf Rules Quiz
This month we are going to test your knowledge of the Rules in the form of a quiz. There are three sections, true or false, multiple choice and a bonus question worth 5 points. Give it a go and see how you measure up!
Score 1 point for each correct answer in section 1, 2 for each correct answer in section 2 plus 5 if you answer the bonus question correctly.
(Answers at the bottom of the page)
SECTION 1– True or False?
1. There is no penalty if a player makes a stroke at a wrong ball that is moving in water in a water hazard.
2. A player may take relief from an abnormal ground condition in a water hazard.
3. In four-ball stroke play balls belonging to the same side may be played in the order the side considers best.
4. In four-ball match play balls belonging to the same side may NOT be played in the order the side considers best.
5. In match play, if a competitor is doubtful of his rights or the correct procedure during the play of a hole, he may, without penalty, complete the hole with two balls.
6. If a ball is moved in measuring while proceeding under or determining the application of a Rule, the ball must be replaced. There is no penalty, provided the movement of the ball is directly attributable to the specific act of measuring.
7. A player lifts his ball on the fairway to determine whether it is unfit for play. He may clean the ball.
8. In stroke play, a competitor who has incurred a penalty should inform his marker as soon as practicable.
9. Except on the putting green, a player may have the line of play indicated to him by anyone.
10. Before a round or play-off on any day of a stroke play competition, a competitor must not practise on the competition course.
SECTION 2 – Multiple Choice
11. In which of the circumstances listed below is the player NOT allowed to touch the line of putt?
(a) In pressing down a ball marker.
12. In which circumstance is a player entitled to take relief from an immovable obstruction?
(a) The ball and the obstruction lie
in a water hazard.
13. What is the minimum allowable length of a golf club?
(a) 18 inches.
14. The Committee has certain powers regarding the disqualification penalty. Which of the following is correct?
(a) A penalty less than disqualification
may be modified.
15. A player in a stroke play competition
discovers on the 5th tee that
he is carrying 15 clubs. Which of
the following statements is correct?
SECTION 3 – Bonus Question *worth 5 Points
A player searched for his ball for two minutes, declared it lost and started back to play another ball at the spot from which the original ball was played. Before he put another ball into play his original ball was found within the fiveminute period allowed for search.
What is the ruling?
How did you score?
0-10 Rule books are available at
(Scroll down for answers)