RULES QUIZ - PENCILS AT THE READY...
SECTION 1 TRUE OR FALSE?
1. A ball is deemed to have ‘moved’ if it leaves its position and comes to rest back in its original position. True or False?
2. A ball is out of bounds when any part of it lies out of bounds.
3. When taking relief from casual water a player drops his ball in an incorrect place and his fellow-competitor points out his error before he plays a stroke. The player is allowed to lift the ball without penalty and proceed correctly with the drop.
4. Under the Rules a player is required to replace his ball on the fairway, but the original lie has been altered due to the stroke of another player. He must place the ball in the nearest lie most similar to the original lie that is not more than two club-lengths from the original lie, not nearer the hole and not in a hazard.
5. When taking relief from a small puddle (casual water) through the green the player may drop a ball, without penalty, within one club-length of and not nearer the hole than the nearest point of relief.
6. The player may make a stroke at a ball moving in water in a water hazard.
7. The player’s ball lies just outside a water hazard, but there is a loose branch in the hazard that interferes with his backswing. The player is allowed to move the branch.
8. A player is playing a wedge shot from 100 yards and asks for the flag to be attended. This is not permitted.
9. Two players in a match decide prior to starting to automatically concede all putts less than a putter length as the greens are in poor condition. They are both disqualified.
10. A player hits his tee shot into a greenside bunker. He double- hits his bunker shot and holes the remaining putt. His score for the hole is 4.
SECTION 2 MULTIPLE CHOICE
11. As a player is beginning his downswing for a tee shot the
ball falls off the tee. He cannot check his downswing and strikes
the bouncing ball down the fairway.
12. A player's ball strikes a rock and finishes in a bush 20 yards
behind him. He declares the ball unplayable and wishes to
invoke the stroke and distance option of Rule 28 (Ball
Unplayable) but this would involve dropping the ball 20 yards
nearer the hole than where it now lies.
13. If a player's ball lies off the putting green he may repair a
pitch mark on his line of play that is on the putting green (Rule
16-1c), but not if it is off the putting green (Rule 13-2). What
happens if the pitch mark is partially on and partially off the
14. The player’s ball lies in the rough and he declares it
unplayable. He proceeds under Rule 28c and drops the ball within
2 club-lengths, not nearer the hole, at point that is in a bunker
and plays the ball.
15. A piece of mud adheres to the player’s ball. The player lifts
the ball under a Rule which does not permit cleaning. When he
replaces the ball, may he place it on the spot from which it was
lifted but facing another direction so that the mud would not
interfere between the clubface and the ball?
SECTION 3 BONUS QUESTION
A player, intending to play in a certain direction, took a practice
backswing for a stroke in that direction and broke a branch
impeding his backswing. The player then decided to play in a
different direction. The area of his intended swing in this new
direction was not improved by the breaking of the branch. In
such circumstances, would the player incur a penalty under Rule
13-2 (Improving lie, area of intended stance or swing, or line of
SECTION ONE -
SECTION TWO -
BONUS QUESTION - Answer (a) Rule 13-2 & Decision 13-2/24
0-10 RULE BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE AT WWW.RANDA.ORG