Return to the Golf Today Home PageAll the latest golf newsCoverage of all the worlds major toursFor all your golfing needsGolf Course DirectoryOut on the courseGolf related travelWhats going on, message board, links and more!
 
Worldwide Feature Articles
 
Top Stories
PGA: Stephen Ames coasts to six shot win
PGA: Tiger Woods ends difficult week with 75
Euro: Van de Velde ends 13 year victory wait
Stephen Ames vaults to World No. 27
Boost for the Philippine Open
Tiger Woods misses practice to be with father

Ballesteros fined over outburst in Italy

Seve Ballesteros was fined Wednesday by the European tour for criticizing officials during the Italian Open earlier this month.

Ballesteros said officials were waging a "war" against him after he was disqualified from the event. Ballesteros refused to accept a one-stroke penalty for a second slow-play violation in the third round and signed for a 3-over 75 instead of a 76.

The 46-year-old Ballesteros, a 48-time winner on the European tour, said he is being targeted by tour officials because he once complained about how the tour was being run.

Mark James, chairman of the tour's tournament committee, said Ballesteros gave an explanation for his actions during a special meeting. He did not disclose the amount of the fine.

Ballesteros was only reprimanded for changing his scorecard. He issued a brief statement after the meeting.

"We had a good meeting and it was very brief. I said what I had to say and I tried to defend myself in a way I thought was fair," he said.

 

This years news archive | Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page