Return to the Golf Today Home PageAll the latest golf newsCoverage of all the worlds major toursFor all your golfing needsGolf Course DirectoryOut on the courseGolf related travelWhats going on, message board, links and more!
 
Worldwide Feature Articles
 
Top Stories
PGA: Stephen Ames coasts to six shot win
PGA: Tiger Woods ends difficult week with 75
Euro: Van de Velde ends 13 year victory wait
Stephen Ames vaults to World No. 27
Boost for the Philippine Open
Tiger Woods misses practice to be with father

Owen calls for cancellation of Qatar Masters

Britain's Greg Owen urged the European PGA to cancel next week's Qatar Masters because of the threat of war in Iraq.

"It seems crazy that we should take a risk for one tournament," Owens said.

Owen voiced his concern after the opening round of the Dubai Desert Classic. Tiger Woods, Colin Montgomerie and Nick Faldo withdrew from Dubai last week, and Darren Clarke, Faldo and a number of other top European players withdrew from Qatar.

European PGA executive director Ken Schofield said Thursday the Qatar Masters will be played despite some players' concerns. He said the tournament will be "complete and secure."

Owen said he would compete at Qatar if the tour can guarantee safe transportation between the hotel and golf course.

Scotland's Alistair Forsyth was also reconsidering his plans to play at Qatar.

"It is probably not worth any risk involved," he said.

 

This years news archive | Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page