Return to the Golf Today Home PageAll the latest golf newsCoverage of all the worlds major toursFor all your golfing needsGolf Course DirectoryOut on the courseGolf related travelWhats going on, message board, links and more!
 
Worldwide Feature Articles
 
Top Stories
PGA: Stephen Ames coasts to six shot win
PGA: Tiger Woods ends difficult week with 75
Euro: Van de Velde ends 13 year victory wait
Stephen Ames vaults to World No. 27
Boost for the Philippine Open
Tiger Woods misses practice to be with father

Bill Haas joins father at US Open

The U.S. Open will include a father-son duo for the first time in six years as Bill Haas shared medalist honors in the final qualifying site Wednesday to join his dad, Jay, next week at Olympia Fields.

It was a soggy end to U.S. Open qualifying, which featured several PGA Tour players who had to endure water-logged fairways at Woodmont Country Club and a 36-hole test that required two days.

Haas, a junior at Wake Forest, finished at 9-under 133 to share the top spot with Rod Pampling and Hidemichi Tanaka.

Jay Haas tied for 12th last year at Bethpage Black to qualify for the U.S. Open, which starts next week outside of Chicago.

The last father-son combination in the U.S. Open was Jack and Gary Nicklaus in 1997 at Congressional. Gary and Wayne Player also played at Pebble Beach in 1982.

More than 750 players competed for 83 spots during the three days of sectional qualifying.

The 156-man field was set with the final qualifier at Woodmont, although it wasn't a clean finish. Heavy rains delayed the 36-hole qualifier to Wednesday.

Others who qualified at Woodmont, where 156 players competed for 34 spots, were Joey Sindelar, Olin Browne, Joe Durant, Jonathan Byrd, former Masters champion Larry Mize and Neal Lancaster, who twice set the nine-hole record at a U.S. Open with a 29.

Among those who failed to qualify were former PGA champion Steve Elkington, Jean Van de Velde and Hank Kuehne, whose brother, Trip, qualified earlier this week in Texas.

Ryder Cup captain Hal Sutton opened with a 71, but withdrew with seven holes to play citing the wet conditions.

``The golf course was unplayable,'' Sutton said. ``I had to make four birdies in the last seven holes, and that was impossible. I don't want to see goofy shots come off my club right now.''

John Daly also withdrew, although it's doubtful he was upset. Asked last week at the Memorial if he looked forward to the U.S. Open, Daly said, ``Nah. I never have, I never will. But it is a major.''

Daly is famous for swatting a moving ball with his putter on the eighth hole at Pinehurst No. 2 in 1999, and he withdrew after opening with an 83 at Pebble Beach in 2000.

Luke Donald, former PGA champion Mark Brooks and Robert Gamez were among the alternates after finishing at 139.

This years news archive | Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page