European Tour investigating Seve assault
Severiano Ballesteros is to be investigated by the European Tour following an alleged assault on one of the tour's tournament directors at his home course Pedrena.
Ballesteros is believed to have assaulted fellow Spaniard Jose Maria Zamora last month during the Spanish Amateur Championship, the tour said on Wednesday at Valderrama, where the end-of-season Volvo Masters starts on Thursday.
Zamora, an accomplished player who could have turned professional had he not decided to join the tour's administrative staff, won the over-35s event at Pedrena where the alleged incident was reported by the Spanish Federation.
The European Tour said it is carrying out a full investigation, although director of communications Gordon Simpson said: "Obviously, at this stage, the tour can say nothing."
Zamora, who is working at this week's Volvo Masters, was not available for comment.
A spokesman for Ballesteros told Reuters: "I know there is something between them but it is personal. Something happens between two people and it is no one else's business. Seve does not want to talk about it."
Ballesteros, who has won two U.S. Masters and three British Open titles, has been a vociferous critic of the European Tour management in recent years.
In March last year, he and tournament director Zamora were pictured arguing in the clubhouse car park during the Madeira Island Open after the Spanish player was given a warning for slow play.
At the Italian Open two months later, Ballesteros accused tour director Ken Schofield of acting like a dictator and mafia boss, adding that chief referee John Paramor had deliberately targeted him for a slow play penalty that he refused to accept.
The Spaniard was later disqualified for failing to take the penalty into account on his scorecard before being fined and reprimanded by the European Tour.
This years news archive | Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page