Ernie Els & PGA Tour settle schedule dispute
The long-running feud between Ernie Els and the PGA Tour about his scheduling is over.
The South African, preparing for the Tour Championship at East Lake, met PGA Tour officials after his practice round on Tuesday to clear the air and the results were positive.
Els consistently plays the minimum 15 events the PGA Tour requires for membership but also maintains a full international schedule, including nine events on the European Tour in 2004.
The PGA Tour tried to hold him to a stricter standard by asking for more U.S. events to offset his overseas commitments.
However, the outcome of Tuesday's meeting is that Els can continue with a full schedule on the PGA Tour and European Tour.
"They know where I'm coming from, and I heard where they're coming from, and it's all positive. They're not going to interfere with my schedule," Els said.
"I haven't got a problem with the Tour anymore and they don't have a problem with me anymore, so we're fine. We can move on now."
"I did my schedule last week and it looks like I'm going to play 19 next year in the U.S.," Els said. "That's just a normal schedule. I've played 17, 18 for 10 years now and it looks like I'm playing 19 next year."
Both parties will be relieved that the rift is over.
The dispute had dragged on for most of the year, with Els maintaining that if he played his usual schedule in the U.S. he should be able to play as much as he wanted overseas.
The feud reached boiling point two weeks ago at the World Match Play at Wentworth when Els received a letter from the PGA Tour which repeated their tough stance.
Els saw it as an ultimatum and fired back with his comments finding their way across the Atlantic in the European tabloids.
The war of words intensified when current European Tour Commissioner Ken Scofield and his successor George O'Grady got into the act last week at Valderrama to support of Els.
This years news archive | Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page