Colin Montgomerie set to miss US Open
Scotland's Colin Montgomerie looks set to miss next month's US Open unless he receives an invitation.
Montgomerie needed to finish in the top five at last week's Volvo PGA Championship to gain automatic qualification for being in the world's top 50.
The 40-year-old said he would go if invited as a two-time runner-up, but would not consider going through qualifying for the tournament.
"I'd go if that happened, but it doesn't concern me this year," he told BBC Sport.
"I don't feel comfortable on a course anywhere," he added.
"My expectations are low - very, very low."
Qualifying for the US Open starts on Monday, but Montgomerie will be on the other side of the Atlantic, playing in the Wales Open and the Diageo Championship instead.
The Scot tied for 128th place finish in Germany last week, his lowest result since his very first European tour start in 1987.
If his game does not improve, Montgomerie will face qualification for this year's British Open at Troon as well.
Meanwhile, Spaniard Jose Maria Olazabal will also have to qualify for a major for the first time in his life.
"My iron play is still not good," said Olazabal.
"That's been the main problem for almost two years. I hit very few good shots and I'm not in the situation where it can just click."
This years news archive | Email this page to a friend | Return to top of page